THE DOUGLAS 

THE DOUGLAS WAS A IRON VESSEL OF 1,428 TONS SHE WAS BUILT IN 1869 BY T ROYDEN & SONS AT LIVERPOOL.SHE ORIGINSALLY HAD A AUXILARY SCREW STEAM ENGINE INSTALLED BUT IT WAS REMOVED AFTER A SHORT WHILE.


SHE WAS OWNED BY W & R WRIGHT AND HAD BEEN REGISTERED IN LIVERPOOL

SHE WAS CHARTERED BY SHAW SAVILL & CO AND ALSO BY THE NEWZEALND SHIPPPING CO

SAILED 14TH JUNE 1873 FROM LONDON AND ARRIVED IN WELLINGTON ON 20TH SEPTEMBER 1873


SHE LEFT LONDON ON 2ND JULY 1874 AND ARRIVED IN WELLINGTON ON 22ND OCTOBER 1874. CAPTAIN WILSON COMMANDED

5TH AUGUST 1882 LEFT NADER-HELIX IN THE BATIC ARRIVING IN PORT ADELAIDE 9TH DECEMBER 1882


SHE LEFT WEST HARTLEPOOL IN 1887 ARRIVING AT PORT AUGUSTA 9TH JULY 1887



SHE WAS REFERRED TO AS 'THE DOUGLAS' OR JUST DOUGLAS

THE DOUGLAS

THE BARQUE DOUGLAS WRECKED IN THE VICINITY OF 28.56S 160.30E. SHE HIT AN UNCHARTED REEF ( THE SHIPS CAPTAIN HAD LOST ALL HIS LOG BOOKS )

IT WAS LATER CONFIRMED IT WAS ON ELIZABETH SHOAL / ELIZABETH ROCK THAT SHE WRECKED ON, WHICH IS ACTUALLY WAS WELL CHARTED AT POSITION 29.50S 159.4 E ABOUT 150 MILES NORTH OF HOWE ISLAND

THE DATE OF HER LOSS WAS JUNE / JULY 1869 ? - THERE IT WAS NOT THE SHAW SAVILL CHARTERED VESSEL OF ABOVE

SHE HAD BEEN ON A VOYAGE FROM NEWCASTLE TO CHINA WITH CAPTAIN HIXON  COMMAND

 

 

DOUGLAS

DOUGLAS WAS BUILT IN 1864 BY CAIRD & CO OF GREENOCK SHE WAS A STEAMSHIP OF 709 TONS


SHE WAS SCRAPPED / OUT OF SERVICE BY 1888.SHE HAD BEEN REGISTEREDIN THE ISLE OF MAN

FOR REFERENCE ONLY AS THE TWO VESSELS WERE IN SERVICE AT THE SAME PERIOD IN TIME - NO SHAW SAVILL & CO CONNECTIONS

 

return.gif (2290 bytes)