western.jpg (37694 bytes)

REGINA / WESTERNLAND

BUILT FOR THE DOMINION LINE.WHEN LAUNCHED SHE HAD ONLY ONE FUNNEL - THE SECOND FUNNEL BEING ADDED AFTER WW1. SHE WAS THE SISTER SHIP TO 'PENNLAND / PITTSBURG', AND WAS A VESSEL OF ABOUT 16,000 TONS. SHE  WAS USED AS A TROOP SHIP UNTIL 1919. AFTER WW1 SHE WAS RETURNED TO THE BUILDERS FOR COMPLETION OF HER ORIGINAL DESIGN. IN 1925 SHE MADE HER FIRST TRIP FOR THE WHITE STAR LINE. SHE WAS TRANSFERRED TO THE RED STAR LINE IN 1929, AND RE-NAMED 'WESTERNLAND'.SHE HAD A BELGIUM CREW AND BRITISH OFFICERS AT THIS TIME.SHE WAS SOLD TO THE RED STAR LINE IN 1935 AND LATER IN 1939 SHE WAS  SOLD TO THE HOLLAND AMERICA LINE, RETAINING THE NAME ' WESTERNLAND '. ESCAPING TO ENGLAND IN 1940 SHE SERVED AS HOME TO THE DUTCH GOVERNMENT IN EXILE WHEN MOORED IN FALMOUTH. SHE WAS SCRAPPED IN 194 AT BLYTH.THE RADIO ROOM WAS SITUATION ON THE BOATDECK,JUST IN FRONT OF THE FUNNELS, AND CARRIED THREE RADIO OFFICERS.

return.gif (2290 bytes)