MERMAID 

MERMAID WA A VESSEL OF 1,320 TONS BUILT IN NOVIA SCOTIA BY JOHN MCDONALD IN 1853, FOR JOHN & ARTHUR MCDONALD OF ST.JOHNS HER OFFICIALNUMBER WAS 6024. SHE WAS REGISTERED IN LIVERPOOL HER MASTER WAS CAPTAIN H ROSS

IN 1854 SHE WAS SOLD TO PILKINGTON & WILSON'S WHITE STAR LINE.

SHE WAS CHARTERED TO SHAW SAVILL & CO IN 1862 AND MADE TEN VOYAGES FOR THEM, SEVEN OF THEM FROM THE U.K DOWN TO LYTTLETON, UNDER THE COMMAND OF CAPTAIN H.ROSE.IN 1868

 SHE WAS PURCHASED OUTRIGHT BY SHAW SAVILL & CO. IN 1869

SHE WAS SOLD TO DAVIES & PLAIN OF CARDIFF. IN 1872 SHE WAS SOLD TO A FOREIGN COMPANY.

IN 1883 SHE DRIFTED ASHORE OF SOUTHPORT, ALL THE CREW TOOK TO THEIR TWO BOATS AND WERE RESCUED BY THE SOUTHPORT & LYTNHAM LIFEBOAT. IN 1883 SHE WAS WRECKED OF LEIGHTHAM.

HER SISTER SHIPS WERE QUEEN OF THE CLYDE, QUEEN OF THE NORTH AND TIPTREE ( NEEDS CONFIRMING )

 

shaw.gif (2404 bytes)         charter.gif (2349 bytes)