GRACE GIBSON  

GRACE GIBSON  WAS A THREE MASTED IRON SHIP OF 540 TONS BUILT IN 1867 BY ALEXANDER STEPHEN & SONS LTD OF KELVINHAUGH AND LAUNCHED IN SEPTEMBER 1867.

 SHE WAS CONVERTED TO A BARQUE IN 1891.

SHE WAS OWNED BY H ISMAY & OTHERS OF LIVERPOOL ( HENRY HEWITT & CO OF WHITEHAVEN) SHE WAS ORIGINALLY USED ON THE UK TO VALPARISO TRADE WHICH LASTED UP UNTIL 1891.

SHE CHANGED HANDS IN 1891 AND WAS OWNED BY WILLIAM SHERWEN OF NEW FERRY CHESHIRE & LONDON.

IN 1894 SHE WAS OWNED BY REDERI JOHANNE BUT MANAGED BY P HARBYE OF DENMARK.

 IN 1904 SHE WAS OWNED BY REDERI AND MANAGED BY K LANGFELDT OF KRISTIANSAND OF NORWAY

THE WHITE STAR LINE CHARTERED HER FROM HEWITT & CO OF LIVERPOOL ( WHITEHAVEN ? ) IN JULY 1870  SHE DID A VOYAGE FOR THEM FROM LIVERPOOL TO OTAGO

WHILE ON A VOYAGE FROM DAKAR TO ARUBA  SHE RAN AGROUND AT LITTLE CURACAO  ON 6TH NOVEMBER 1909 AND WAS NOT SALVAGABLE

THERE IS A REFERENCE TO HER BEING A VESSEL OF 1,540 TONS BUT THIS IS CLEARLY A TYPING ERROR

 

 

wpe1.jpg (1242 bytes)