corinth2.jpg (38669 bytes)

CORINTHIC (2ND)

BUILT  IN 1947 BY CAMMELL AND LAIRD IN BIRKENHEAD. SHE WAS THE SISTER SHIP TO ATHENIC / 2ND, CERAMIC / 2ND AND GOTHIC / 2ND.

 IN 1965 SHE WAS CONVERTED FROM A CARGO / PASSENGER VESSEL TO THAT OF CARGO CARRYING ONLY.

SHE WAS SENT TO THE SCRAP YARD A FEW YEARS LATER IN 1969 AT KAOHSIUNG.

ONE OF CORINTHIC'S MASTER'S ( ARTHUR JONES ) WAS KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE COMPANY AS ' PICAIRN JONES '. HE HAD FIRST SEEN PICAIRN ISLAND IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC  WHEN STILL AN APPRENTICE ONBOARD THE KATUNA IN 1919, AND HAD BECOME INTRIGUED WITH THE ISLAND. LATER IN 1933 WHILST SERVING ONBOARD THE SSA 'AKOROA' HE HAD NOTICED HOW THE ISLAND WAS SLOWLY BECOMING DEFORESTED. IN THE 1950'S ( NOW MASTER OF THE CORINTHIC ) HE STARTED CARRYING CONSIGNMENTS OF YOUNG SAPLINGS FROM N.Z TO PICAIRN TO HELP RE FOREST THE ISLAND. A HEADLAND IN BOUNTY BAY, PICAIRN IS NAMED AFTER HIM IN HIS HONOUR.

 

 

return.gif (2290 bytes)